2019 Championship Tournament: Earning Points, Roster Requirements, and Format
A team can automatically qualify for the Championship Tournament by finishing first or second in any of the six regular season MAW tournaments.
Championship Tournament Points
Teams that compete in any of the six regular season Mid Atlantic tournaments will earn points based on their finish provided the team meets the requirements listed in the “Roster Requirements” section of this page. Click here to see how points are awarded based on the number of teams entered in a tournament. The standard MAW tiebreakers will be used to distribute points among teams that finish a tournament with identical records.
Points are important for two reasons. First, any spots in the 2019 Mid Atlantic Championship Tournament NOT filled by automatic qualifiers (first or second place finishers in the regular season tournaments) will be filled by the teams that accumulated the most points during the regular season. Second, teams will be seeded in the Championship Tournament by total cumulative points with the top three seeds earning a bye to the semi-finals! See below for the full 2019 Mid Atlantic Championship Tournament format.
In the interests of competition and fairness, there are certain requirements teams must abide by in order to earn points at a regular season tournament and for a player to be eligible for the Championship Tournament.
· A team has a maximum of six roster spots to use during the 2019 spring/summer season.
· The first six players used by a team are the only players eligible for that team’s Championship Tournament roster should they qualify.
· Any team that adds another player after using six roster spots will not be eligible to earn points or qualify for the Championship Tournament in any tournament in which the additional player(s) compete.
· If a player that leaves one team for another team during the season, the new team must forfeit their previously earned points. The player’s original team keeps their points but does not gain an additional roster spot.
· Players must play in two tournaments with their Championship Tournament eligible team to be eligible for that team’s Championship Tournament roster, with the following exception:
· If a team qualifies for the Championship Tournament by finishing first or second in a tournament, the players on the roster that day are eligible for the Championship Tournament even if one or more only compete in that tournament.
Championship Tournament Format
Nine teams will advance to the 2019 Mid Atlantic Championship Tournament on September 7th and 14th under the methods described above. The three teams with the most cumulative points at the end of the regular season will earn byes to the semi-finals on the second Saturday of the two-week tournament. The other six teams will be seeded based on cumulative points with the top two teams receiving a first-round bye in a double elimination tournament to take place on the September 7th. The winner of this double elimination tournament will advance to the semi-finals the following weekend.
The cash prize structure will be announced at a later date.